Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Les Miserables or Bust!

LesMisLogo.png
Christmas day Les Miserables the movie is coming to a theatre near you!


  Many of you know that I have my degree in Theatre arts and Communications Education from Oklahoma Baptist University. So drama is one of my passions. It has had to take a back seat to other things that have grown to be higher on my list of priorities over the past years. I am grateful that the Lord has allowed me to direct plays and teach drama off and on here and there along the way. It allows me the opportunity to spread a little love for the theatre to young people.

  In the 1980's some of the most iconic Broadway musicals were on the scene as I was enjoying my high school drama program; Cats, Big River, Phantom of the Opera, 42nd Street, Dreamgirls, and Into the Woods. My parents must have been broke because they somehow provided tickets for me to see them all at Dallas Summer Musicals with the drama club. Somewhere in there, there was a time when less plot but big spectacle was popular. Like in the case of a musical called Starlight Express, all acted out on roller skates :) Being the director wannabe and serious about my art, I longed for a truly sophisticated musical plot, complex musical score, and overall stage pictures that equaled art. I wanted balance. Not much to ask for, huh? I mean it's feel good musical theatre. Don't get me wrong I love me some dancing cats....but you know ;)
Along came my all time most favorite musical ever. It was everything a play should be. It was an emotional experience witnessed with everyone in that audience. Valjeans tenor voice, the revolving stage, Javert's jump from the bridge (yes, right there on stage), the baricade, a plot that only Victor Hugo could write. Awww the senses were in overload. Amazing!!!!




  So now it is back only on the big screen. I am lobbying my man to take me to see it ASAP when the new movie comes next week. Have you seen the price of a ticket to Bass? Phew!!! So $7.50 isn't to bad, Hun
.
  The story is about a man changed by his encounter with God's redemptive love, but that is the only morsel I'll give those unfamiliar with the story.
 
  Above is a pic of my original program and sweatshirt from 1989. I have been wearing it everywhere lately. The real question is, "Now, how does that still fit?"

Take a listen to the original from the musical (The 10th anniversary concert) My favorite song Bring Him Home:

 


No comments:

Post a Comment