Thursday, December 6, 2012

Pop the Popcorn

Movie Image


I love the movie selections on t.v. this time of year. Hallmark, Lifetime, and ABC Family pack as many fun Christmas specials as they can into the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas. There is no more indulgent treat for a mom like a couple of hours of a feel good movie. I thought I would suggest my absolute 15 favorite Christmas movies for those who need a little holiday get way. Some are for the family and some just for Mom and Dad.
15 The Ultimate Gift
(A sentimental Hallmark Movie with James Garner)
14. The Muppet Christmas Carol
(My son is reading Charles Dicken's A Christmas Carol for school right now. 
We love this version with Michael Cain).
13. Meet Me in St Louis
(Judy Garland met Vincent Minnelli while working on this film).
12. Little Women
(The 1994 one with Susan Sarandon and Wynona Ryder)
11. Christmas With the Kranks.
(Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis. This movie is so cute and so funny).
10. Holiday Inn *** See Note Below-After the Clip ***
(Many folks know about White Christmas, but give this one a try with Bing Crosby and the irreplaceable Fred Astaire).
9.  The Santa Clause
(All three are favs at our home. My main man took me to see #1 on one of our first dates).
8. You've Got Mail
(Nora Ephron...Need I say more.
I recently checked out Jimmy Stewart in Shop Around the Corner. It is also worth checking out.)
7. While you Were Sleeping
(Love that Sandy Bullock. What was Jesse think'in?)
6. The Family Man
(Grab hubby to watch this one with you).
5. The Wonderful-- It's A Wonderful Life.
4. Charlie Brown Christmas 
3. Miracle on 34th St.
(Only the original will do).
2. When Harry Met Sally
(This is one of my all time favorite movies on any list).
1. Elf
(My all time favorite Christmas movie. We laugh and laugh and laugh).     

In preparing my list I have found one that I have not seen. I think I will try out The Bishop's Wife with the terrific Cary Grant. If you have seen that one give me a shout out to let me know what you think. Really, I would love any good movie suggestions to add to my Netflix queue. If you want a movie to really focus on the true meaning of Christmas, I fully recommend  The Visual Bible Matthew. 
So pop the corn, and grab a coke. The movie is starting.....

***NOTE*** I tried to watch all of my picks over the holidays which much to my horror,I  forgot that Holiday Inn has a "black face" scene for Lincoln's birthday of all things. Although I love Fred Astaire, and Irving Berlin's music makes this movie a classic. I am truly saddened by the practice of "black face" vaudeville routines in the history of theatre. It was more than offensive. I will,however, make mention of the terrific actress, Louise Beaver, and the two adorable kiddos that played her children. She paved the way for African American actors/actresses today in that here size part was not common at the time. I hope that we have made long strides since those lamentably unjust persecuting times***    

No comments:

Post a Comment